A place to discuss anything and everything that strikes our fancy. Feel free to chime in.

Friday, April 29, 2016

I Detect the Comic Appeal

     I have read both Marvel and DC comics, and I must say that I support the DC comics. Their characters seem more developed and have darker pasts. I must add that I find the DC characters more iconic. Think about it. When you think of superhero, most people would probably imagine Superman (Not the best character, but the most well known). When you think of running at superhuman speeds, your mind simply thinks of the Flash. Very rarely will Quicksilver come first. I do like the setup of Omnipresent beings in the Marvel universe, but the DC has a very good Hal Jordan story line, where they follow him from the Green Lantern to the Spectre. On that note, I must say that the Lanterns add a very rich universal history for the DC story line. They affect the DC universe from the beginning of it's creation
      I also like the villains of the DC universe better. Darkseid is simply better that Apocalypse or Thanos, and Doomsday is better than the Abomination. There is just an appeal that makes them better. I mean, Apocalypse (no matter the power) is described as a mutant, that just makes me subconsciously equate that to weakness. On the other hand, Darkseid is depicted as a god, unbeatable with vast reserves of power. I know I've hit the more major villains, and not the little ones, but I can hardly compare every DC villain to a counterpart in Marvel. However, I must say the the backstories of the DC villains (Lex Luther, Joker, Mongul, etc.) is slightly better than that of the Marvel.
     However, I will give credit to the Marvel Norse setup. I really like how they inter integrated the Norse into the universe, and I really enjoyed following the path of Mjolnir from Thor's hands to Jane's. I do like the references to the Asgardian lore, but the DC is better overall.

3 comments:

  1. That's great until you have a completely overpowered hero that can only be defeated by a glowing green stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AS I MENTIONED IN THE POST... Superman is just a popular character, not the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, but DC has made him their poster child.

    ReplyDelete