A place to discuss anything and everything that strikes our fancy. Feel free to chime in.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I was on a role typing this.

Hey Guys,
        First off I want to say that I got a new keyboard, so if I have typos, just read what I meant it to say. This is a topic that I can't really make my mind up on. I think that some Gender roles have their place. Like the example Geek used in the prompt, of men hitting women. I think that a man should never hit a woman except for cases of self defense. Men naturally are bigger and stronger, which puts us in the situation of having to exercise self control in order to avoid seriously hurting the woman in question (as always this is just most cases, not necessarily all of them). Not saying that a woman couldn't hold her own in a fight, she is just at a disadvantage. (Although I'm a pacifist and really don't think anyone should be hitting anyone.) I do think that when it comes to dating men do have a large responsibility, although this will vary from relationship to relationship. Some men enjoy buying things for their significant other, myself included, so we don't see it as a responsibility but a right, and some women don't want or need the men to care for them that way, and are happy and willing to pick up the tab. Everyone in a relationship should be respectful to the other person, and show that how they will.
        I think gender roles in the work environment are stupid. Unless it is a job that a woman physically could not do, in which case then they shouldn't get the job, but then men who are physically unable to do the job should not be able to get that job either. (for example fire rescue, you need a larger build and more muscles to be able to do some of the things that they do, however if a woman is physically capable of performing at the level required, let her do  it I say.) However, in fields like business and science, women should be able to get the same jobs at the same wages men do. I also think that the societal norm of the stay at home mom/wife should not be there either. I know plenty of families where the mom works and the father is perfectly capable of caring for the kids and cleaning the house. I also know some people who enjoy that kind of work, as opposed to a regular office job. All in all, I think some gender roles have their place, but it depends on the person (or people) in question and the situation.
-Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment